5 weeks until we jet of on our adventure and it’s all starting to become real. The more I research places I want to visit all I see is pretty pictures, awesome food and scenery left, right and center. It’s even worse now I’ve got a Twitter account and every second there is someone posting their blog posts and perfectly shot pictures.
So I thought I would share with you things that are on my mind right now:
1. Vaccinations – I’ve still not had them yet. Well I have had my Hepatitis A, B, Tetanus, Polio, Diphtheria and Typhoid (all the ones you need to have – so it’s a good start). However, I still need the Japanese Encephalitis, Malaria tablets and Rabies jabs I was highly recommended by the nurse at the Superdrug Travel Clinic. I’ve been having thoughts about Rabies because there is mixed advice out there and I’ve decided not have this (Andrew has given me plenty of earache on this). Firstly the jabs don’t provide you with the antidote, you get this from the local hospital. Secondly, my colleagues said the dogs are docile and used to being around people. Lastly I’m not exactly going to be giving any dogs a cuddle anytime soon.
2. Money – I’ve finally got my Norwich and Peterborough debit card after like a million attempts because we recently moved we didn’t have any bills with our new address so we failed our ID verification. It was a nightmare to the point we were going to give up. It’s a debit card you use just like you would in the UK, with the benefit of having no withdrawal fees abroad. I’m glad this card exists with the amount of cash withdrawals we will be making (every bit of money all adds up!). If you are interested the link is here.
3. Andrew wants try to do a dry run of packing our backpacks. It’s actually a good idea I don’t even actually know what I’m bringing although I do have an idea however I don’t think I’m ready….ready to realise that in reality I’m probably taking way to much and need to cut down. We shall see….
4. Which comes into my next thing is backpacking gear we still need to buy. Andrew’s getting some fancy boxers that are designed for travelling – removes the moisture, stops chaffing et (don’t think he will be doing a review on them haha). I’ve already spent a lot on my gear so I’m not going to buy anything else. If I need it I will buy it whilst I’m out there. Actually I need a new scuba mask but I guess I need to try one to know what fits best).
5. Will travelling change me? I’m leaving the UK to travel to the opposite side of the world, where the people and culture will be so different to what I am use it. I’m going to embrace it and just be me.
6. Saying goodbye when the time comes. I’ve started to plan my weekends so I see my friends and family before I go. 7 months is a looong time. Saying goodbye is never easy for me…..gulp.
Over to Andrew:
Hi Guys 🙂 Okay, so my turn…
1. Birthdays – Due to the time of year we are leaving I am going to not be in the UK for my birthday and both my Grandmothers’ birthdays. I will also miss my step-father and sister’s birthdays, but it’s my Grandmothers’ I think will have the most effect. I need to be more organised.
2. I’ve spent too much on gear I think but I’d rather spend a little more money now than need something I don’t have on the trip, Serena totally disagrees with me on this. I still can’t decide if I want to buy a mosquito net here or wait… What else do I need? Argh! Serena seems totally cool on having everything, I’m constantly wanting to buy more. I should just chill on this, I can buy it when I am there.
3. Vaccinations – I’m cool on this, just expensive! I’ll do a post on this when I get a chance. I wonder if Superdrug will give me the Rabies injections to takeaway so I can stick Serena in the arm while she’s sleeping…
4. Aircrashes – I know this is stupid. I’ve never been afraid of flying but I always get nervous even though I hide it. The recent spate of crashes in Asia does worry me slightly but I know it’s daft, I look at all the statistics.
5. Hostels – I’ve never stayed in a hostel before and we’re going to be jumping into staying in them every day. Cleanliness, theft, lack of privacy. Lots of people do this so it should be fine, right?
I think that’s it from me…
What things were niggling in the back of your minds before you went travelling? Let me know via a comment.